The 32lb fish..You know the one that got away..


I have a favorite antique-type haunt. It is a big, huge place with tons of vendors and lots of fun stuff. I rarely run into something that is outrageously priced. A few months back we were browsing about the place and I found the greatest quilt. It was different then any I have ever seen before.
It was like it was pieced together with bits of other quilts but in no particular order. If a crazy quilt left its fancy stitching at home and married a quilt of the the month. Well, that is close to what this quilt was like. It had blocks and then just pieces, top-stitched down in places. No batting, maybe flannel in between. The back was bigger pieces pieced. It was the truest 'use what you have' quilt and don't let anything go to waste.

I really wanted it but it just wasn't the time to spend $25. Yes I know $25. I was really filled with regret, after, because the fabrics and textures were so amazing and so filled with history. I went back 3 days later, I had to have it. Oh you already guessed? Yeah, it was gone. Swoosh. Just like that. I was so so sad.


A few days ago, 'the quilt' was swimming around in my brain. I have a few odds and end blocks. Most are vintage. Some are from my mother in law....


Some I made, but never did finish that quilt of the month...


Some more from my mother-in-law. The hexagons are all hand pieced...


Not to mention a ton of single hexagons...


And a few that I have purchased...




I also have feed sacks and vintage fabric hanging out...


So I decided ,that in the spirit of the beautiful piece of patchwork that is now only a memory, why not put together my own . Use what I have, rescue a few blocks here and there and put a few together. Then I could actually keep that 32lb fish...you know the one that got away.


Comments

sewtakeahike said…
I hate that feeling when I've walked away from something I knew I should have gotten. But that's ok, yours is going to be fabulous!
Felicia said…
Oh, such a sad, sad story! But you KNOW that quilt went to someone who loves it. They'll probably pass it on to their children. And you got motivated to dig deep into your stash :)
I feel your pain!!!! Oh, how tragic...but think of the inspiration you've just gained and all is restored!!! :-) Sort of...never was good at the inspirational stuff...
Vintage Girl said…
Oh yes, I've had that happen as well....kind of a sad feeling for awhile and then on to the next treasure hunt! You are so creative in making your own and by the looks of all the beautiful fabric, it's going to be a memory making quilt. Good for you! Heather