Monday, November 18, 2013

Is it really November already?
The cool temps and wind should have given it away
 but it is actually sunny and calm today in these parts.
November has brought a lot to our little family, some challenges and some blessings. Sometimes the worst case scenario can actually become an eye-opening, lesson-learning, moment.
A scratch and sniff sticker moment if you will.
 
Whilst I was in the middle of lesson learning,
responsibilities went onto the back burner and at the risk of a full on fire,
 I tackled one of them this weekend.
Or doused it with baking soda (on account of the fire risk). You get my drift. I hope.
 
 
 
A friend of mine commissioned a new mobile home for her laptop.
I, of course said, (like a silly little girl) "I can do that, no problem."
Ha. Can I just repeat that? Ha
 
I had an idea in my head but no pattern. This is a bit of an undertaking
sans pattern, at least for me it is. I am no seamstress mind you. No project runway contestant
here.
But I began.
Then stopped.
 Cut everything out.
Then stopped.
I was stuck on two accounts....
 1. she wanted grommets and
2. I wasn'tsure how to do the handles to
 make them super accommodating for a heavy laptop.
 

Inside, 6 pockets, divider and 3 pen pockets.
 
I decided not to do gussets so that eliminated side straps. You can see
I ended up sewing the handles down to the inside panel before assembly.
This decision took a lot of staring blankly and a lot of trips to the
kitchen for snacks and drink.

 
I am hopeful the handles will hold. Now the grommets were not a big deal but I did not
want them to go all the way through all layers because this puppy has a LOT of layers.
Mostly for durability and stability. so I ended up putting a false panel in as you can see in the picture below- the back of the bag.
 
 
Caution: Full Disclosure is coming up.
 
Okay see that little button on that square of fabric. Funny story. Not really.
After the bag was complete and before I did the topstitching on the opening I looked the bag over for missed seams and any defects. Thoroughly looked it over. So I thought.
I sewed the final topstitching and snapped the bag shut.
Here comes the good part....
I, at this point of relief of being done, realized I put the magnetic snap and closure strap on backward.
REALLY? Yup that is what I did and did not even notice until I sat back to admire my creation.
Re-enter blank stare. For a long time.
I almost took it all apart and then decided to take out the topstitching and perform a
little bag surgery removing the infected magnetic snap and closures strap and re-inserting it on the other side. Hence the need for the fabric graft and cute button. Who's to know. Except you reading this, provided someone reads this.
 
Now I just hope the laptop fits.

1 comment:

the girl on the other computer said...

Oh, hilarious! I really like the fake panel {or whatcha call it} for the extra depth and color with the grommets. Very cheeky, hide-and-seek if you ask me! :-) Well done!!

In ev'ry job that must be done
There is an element of fun
you find the fun and snap!
The job's a game

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails