Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Tales from an old bag

O.k. it is a new bag or one that I made over the weekend. It is from this book which I treated myself to as a graduation gift. It was the first pattern I made of hers and it went pretty smooth. I really like that her patterns are paper not tissue. They are so much easier to manage and I don't get that over whelming feeling when I unfold paper. With tissue I feel like I am under some sort of attack.



I did a make a few changes: I added an inside pocket-I just feel like all bags should have one, then I sewed the end pockets down-stitching in the ditch. Either I have selective pattern reading or she really never mentioned stitching down the side pockets.


The same was true for the front, I think hers was just left open - I tacked it with a button. I just can't do super floppy.

Whats that? Oh you like my creative use of both pink and white twill tape- yeah, twill tape.... when synthetic, will not properly behave when sewing however, ironing those last three inches to try to get it back in place may melt** it. I will be investing in some cotton twill tape, which only seems to be obtainable for, me on-line.

**no bad words were used in the assembly of this bag....okay maybe one

10 comments:

Sonja said...

How pretty! I like your fabric choices and the color combination. So summery!

maggiegracecreates said...

this is really pretty. love the fabrics togethers.

Anina said...

Lovely! The fabrics are just great!

breanna said...

What a fabulous bag! I love the fabrics you chose.

Roxanne said...

A perfect summer bag! You're not going to really use it in the garden are you?

Felicia said...

LOL It turned out beautifully so it must have been worth the effort :)

Valerie said...

beautiful ! what a great mix of fabrics... I'm considering buying this book, too - and although I haveb't graduated lately... - but I still have so much (magazines...etc...)to get inspired from...

shelley davis said...

The bag is beautiful! Great selection of fabrics!
Shelley

Suzie Sews said...

the selection of fabric is lovely. I have the book too and I know just what you mean about the patterns. I also hate having to enlarge patterns as it means a trip into town.
Suzie Sews

Ms. W said...

I love your "shabby chic" bag! So cute!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails