Skirting the issue

I made this skirt today..(I can't make this underline go away...ugh) Anyway I am very happy with it.



(No mysterious underline down here?) I used the pattern below and it is easy. I actually learned a few things!!! The best was when the pattern told me to tack down the side seams so that the tie did not get caught up in the casing. Ummm, am I the last to know about this trick. Do you have any idea how many casings I have gone into the ring with head to head? Wow I could kiss simplicity for this tip.

You will also notice that the skirt is not hemmed.... Hmmm why is that you ask? Well the wise pattern said to hang the skirt over night. Okay, oh wise pattern, I will do as you say after the casing advise. BUUUUT why am I doing this? I do not know....do any of you? What difference would that make? Is it just to let the seams relax? Couldn't I just serve them a cup of tea?....Okay that is just silly-seriously any ideas?

Notice my pattern is in a new home? I love this idea, take the front of the pattern and tape or glue to a large envelope and whooola it all fits nicely inside. No more stuffed, tattered and torn pattern envelopes for this girly. Plus, as an added bonus there is a whole blank space on the back of the envelope to make notes on altering the pattern or what have you!!

Comments

jessica said…
So cute! Maybe the hanging is because it is a circle skirt and it will hang more evenly after hanging overnight. I have always heard that you should hem circle skirts by measuring from the floor (of course you need another person to do this) - does it tell you to do this also?
Anina said…
Very cute. I love the contrast fabric. I've been using that pattern storage technique for years and it works so much better, doesn't it? If you're using a letter sized envelope, they will also fit really nicely into one of those plastic file storage totes from Staples or Officemax. That's where I keep mine.
Anonymous said…
what a good job !
I've never heard about an overnight hanging of this type ! but I do exactly the same with my used pattern, tape them onto a big envelope and put every tiny piece inside so that nothing gets lost.
this fabric is very cheerful and I have my eyes on a similar for my daughter on ebay.... but maybe i should just stop buying fabric for a while.... that would a wise decision...
Amanda Jean said…
your skirt looks lovely. I don't sew garments, so I have no clue why you are supposed to not hem it now. I do like your pattern storage idea, though.
Roxanne said…
What a great skirt! Love your fabric choices!
Rebecca said…
I love it! So cute, and your fabric choice is lovely. And the pattern starge idea, BRILLIANT. Not that I sew or anything and especially not clothing. I consider myself a fairly advanced knitter and I stink at clothing in that so I can't even imagine sewing.

PS - I need your address! drop me a line
beki said…
Cute! That turned out well!!
Anonymous said…
You skirt is so cute. I love your new pattern storage system. No idea about the hanging overnight but I'd definitely try a cup up tea ;)
linda t said…
So cute! You inspire me to sew a garment! And I do want to incorporate more skirts and dresses in my wardrobe now that the heat has set in.... oh and now that I'm working and need nicer clothes!
Anonymous said…
I have no clue about letting the skirt hang over night. I make a decent amount of clothing for my little one and I and I have never heard of this. My grandmother never did this either.

I LOVE the skirt. Love the print!!
Katherine said…
Such a fun summery print for a skirt. Very sweet. As for hanging the skirt overnite before hemming, it is because the fabric (especially if cut on the bias) will relax a little and you could end up with an uneven hem.
I use a ziploc bag to put each pattern in, it's easy to see your pattern, it's more roomy than the original envelope and it is secure for all those little pieces you have.
Berber said…
Lovely skirt!
Anonymous said…
Skirts that are not cut on the straight of grain, ie that have bias or half-bias seams, need to "hang out" (no pun intended) to allow any residual droopiness to appear before they are hemmed.
Erica Wagner said…
Looks very cute! I love the pretty Summery fabric.